I’m currently employed as a content designer at SPARCK, the design wing of global technology consultancy BJSS.
My previous role was as head of content and insight at PracticeWeb, a specialist marketing agency based in Bristol.
I studied English at Cambridge and started writing and editing in central government in 2005.
Since then I’ve produced everything from ministerial speeches to award-winning non-fiction books, from corporate blog posts to comedy scripts.
As an editor I’ve fixed full-length biographies, converted government speak into plain English, and managed an in-house magazine.
I’ve also trained hundreds of people on practical good grammar, working to a house style, and on the art of persuasive writing.
What my clients say
“Ray has produced content for us on a wide range of subjects, always to deadline and always to budget. His work is always impeccably researched and of a consistently high quality. I can’t recommend him highly enough.”
Charles Perry, CEO, Britain Can Make It
“Ray’s help is great given how busy we are. He is excellent at listening to our thoughts and turning them into compelling pieces of writing.”
Jack Cattell, Director, Get the Data
- Best Writing About Pubs, British Guild of Beer Writers, 2018
- Fortnum & Mason Food and Drink Awards: Best Online Drinks Writer, 2016
- North American Guild of Beer Writers Best History Writer, 2015
- Beer Writer of the Year, British Guild of Beer Writers, 2014
Selected writing and editing
- The Digital Marketing Manual for Accountants, PracticeWeb, 2021
- Blog posts, copywriting and articles about accountancy for PracticeWeb, AccountingWEB and numerous clients, 2018-2021
- Corporate content for various clients, 2012-2018 (writer, copy editor)
- 20th Century Pub, Homewood Press, 2017 (as Ray Bailey)
- Monthly column in Devon Life, 2016-present (as Ray Bailey)
- Brew Britannia, Aurum Press, 2014 (as Ray Bailey)
- Beer column in the Guardian Guide, 2014-2015 (as Ray Bailey)
- Boak & Bailey’s Beer Blog, 2007-present (as Ray Bailey)
- Various biographies and non-fiction books, 2010-2013 (copy editor)
- Writing Style Guide, Department for Education, 2007 (author)
- Sketches for Hush, Silver River productions, 2006 (contributor)
- Feedback magazine, Department for Education, 2005-2007 (editor)